Monday, April 25, 2011

Authority and Authenticity

These concepts are closely related to the concept of "Audience," in that it is the audience who perceives a writer's authority and authenticity. While reading an autobiographical text, it is important for the audience to feel that the narrator is reliable in the sense that s/he has the authority to write about whatever topics s/he is addressing, as well as the ability to be both an active and observing participant in his or her life/narrative.  
Cabeza de Vaca's narrative in relation to authenticity was a hot topic in class.

The general consensus was that Cabeza de Vaca was an unreliable narrator due to his extreme awareness of his primary audience, the Spanish King, who right from the get go, de Vaca refers to as his "Holy, Imperial, Catholic Majesty" (45). What seemed unbelievable to us as readers was that Cabeza de Vaca seemed more effected by the presence of the King's authority than the intensity of his experiences while in the New World. On page 47, he insists that though some of his experiences seem unbelievable, he should be trusted because he acted in the name of service to the King. This statement alone is enough to question his authenticity because at the level of cultural immersion he experienced, there must have been a point where his values adjusted due to concern for himself and curiosity of others. To draw from Smith and Watson’s concepts of the Narrating "I" v. the Narrated "I" in relation to Cabeza de Vaca, it seemed at times that the Narrating "I" was too controlling and    subsequently, didn't leave room for the Narrated "I" to convey historical and factual truth.


Personal Take:

As a student, it is important to feel as if my professors have the authority to be teaching as well as the authenticity that comes with teaching a subject correctly and passionately. By having a sense of authority (that comes with the proper degrees and experiences) and authenticity (that manifests itself in the form of teachers who are both academically and personally invested in their students' successes), great professors are expected to teach truthfully as well as inspire their students with their interpretation of the curriculum. I, like all college students, have been a student since the age of five, and thus, feel pretty knowledgeable on the subject of what makes an effective teacher. This is specifically important to me because my ultimate career goal is to be a creative writing professor. Therefore, when I am in my classes, I am not just a student, I am an observer. With each professor I have, I actively try to identify what is successful about their methods and what I will never, ever do once I am an educator. (Don't worry Vander Zee, you've provided lots of helpful, positive tips for me and my future career.)

-Mary Alice Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment